Sunday 9 March 2014

Making a Start : Being More Thoughtful and Theologically Reflective



So here goes. I need to reflect more.  There are a number of reasons for trying to be more thoughtful and theological reflective (and here’s my first reflection!)…  

1. I want to learn and live joyfully, close to Jesus. 

2. It is an area for my development and spiritual formation at William Booth College. I am not naturally a reflector so this is going to be a challenge!

3. I have realized from working on a very challenging international working group that I need to take more time to do some theology in order to give the ministry and mission here some strong context and purpose. Essentially, I want to connect my faith to my actions.

4. I want to know more about myself

5. I want to make better decisions in my role through having an informed faith.

6. I need to be more biblically and theologically literate, particularly in my area of mission

7. I want to see if there is any change in my views over the coming months. ( It was Thomas Merton who was supposed to have said ‘If the you of five years ago would not consider the you of today a heretic, you are not growing spiritually.’

So here goes, here’s my starting point. Here are the foundations of my faith and views at the moment:

  • I am not an inspirational preacher, I never will be. I am not an academic, I never will be. I am not a theologian, I never will be. I am just an ordinary Christian with a heart for the poor and the marginalized trying to live faithfully and love better.
  •  I very much see myself agreeing with Rev Roger Wolsey and lean towards viewing the bible through a hermeneutic of compassion, love and justice.
  • l really like the strapline that Tearfund use for its work – ‘to draw people, through love, to faith in Christ’. Well I think that is what I am trying to do! Rightly or wrongly, that is the extent of my evangelical zeal and approach.
  • Incidentally, I find liberal and progressive theology much more in line with my thinking than the evangelicals.
  • I have made many many mistakes in my life but I believe every day God is transforming my life and as a result I want to play a part in the transformation change of others, both individuals and communities.  . (’ My past is redeemed, my present makes sense and my future is secure.’ (Zimbabwian pastor)).
  • I believe in the power of the gospel to transform lives and as a result I believe that the church exists to make a difference. I want my church to make a difference!
  • I believe (and I understand that this might be a wee bit controversial) that social justice is now the Church’s most effective point of contact with the world. It’s the best starting point now and that’s one of the reasons I belong to The Salvation Army because it is committed to fighting for social justice, despite struggling with some of its doctrinal stances (more about that later).
  • Transformation is the work of a community.  We do as much as we can in community with others. I am not going to do anything here in Kenya on my own that will make any lasting difference; it can only be done in community.  (‘The gospel message is a way of living with Christ and each other than enables the ministry of word, deed and sign’ Bryant Myers)
  • I am open to learning from other faiths, who are part of our community and can offer valuable insights and different perspectives. 


I could write more but those are the foundations of my faith and over the next few weeks I intend to explore whether they are strong enough to build on. Comments from and discussion with architects, consultant and developers along the journey would be most helpful and welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment